One-Pot Comfort Shepherd's Pie
- 6 cups
There are more diabetic-friendly slow cooker dinners out there than you might think. Like our One-Pot Comfort Shepherd's Pie! It's a classic favorite that we've lightened up to fit into a diabetes-diet. Don't worry. We know when it comes to meals like this you want the whole family to enjoy it, so we didn't sacrifice any of the flavor.
Slow Cooker Time LOW4 hr
What You'll Need
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 3/4 cups water, divided
- 2 tablespoons no-salt added tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 cups frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 2 tablespoons trans-fat-free margarine
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/3 cups instant potato flakes
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese
What to Do
- Coat a 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, coat skillet with cooking spray. Cook onions and ground beef 4 to 5 minutes or until beef is browned, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and 1/2-cup water until the cornstarch is completely dissolved. Stir cornstarch mixture into the beef mixture and bring to a boil. Place beef mixture in slow cooker. Add tomato paste, chili powder, and the Worcestershire sauce; mix well. Top with vegetables.
- In the same skillet, combine remaining 1 1/4-cups water with the margarine and garlic powder and bring to a boil. Remove skillet from heat; stir in potato flakes and milk until blended. Spoon potatoes on top of the vegetables and spread evenly.
- Cover and cook on low 3 to 4 hours or until heated through. Turn off heat and sprinkle with cheese. Let stand 15 minutes, uncovered, until sauce slightly thickens.
Test Kitchen Tip
- Love our One-Pot Comfort Shepherd's Pie? Then, for more recipes the whole family will love, you've got to try our Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese or this super easy Pork Chop Casserole!
- For dessert, why not try our Sensational Strawberry Squares or, if you have some chocoholics to indulge, try our Fudgy Chocolate Cookies!
- Tell us what you think of this recipe in the comments below!
Read NextTomato and Black Bean Chicken
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Calories 236
- Calories from Fat 61
- Total Fat 6.8g 10 %
- Saturated Fat 2.8g 14 %
- Trans Fat 0.3g 0 %
- Protein 22g 44 %
- Cholesterol 50mg 17 %
- Sodium 193mg 8 %
- Total Carbohydrates 23g 8 %
- Dietary Fiber 3.9g 16 %
- Sugars 3.9g 0 %