- 6 cupcakes
- COOK TIME
- 12 Min
The classic combo of peanut butter and chocolate come together in these Peanut Butter Lava Cupcakes. They'll soon become a favorite of the whole family, whether or not they are on a diabetes diet!
What You'll Need
- 1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter (regular, not reduced-fat or natural)
- 1/3 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup liquid egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup granulated Splenda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
What to Do
In a small microwaveable bowl, combine peanut butter and chocolate. Microwave on 30 percent power for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes or until melted and smooth, stirring halfway through cooking. Cover and chill until mixture is the consistency of thick frosting, stirring and checking every 5 to 10 minutes. (This could take from 10 to 25 minutes.) Mixture will set up quickly at the end so watch carefully. Use 2 spoons to drop mixture into 6 mounds on a wax paper-lined baking sheet, using about 2 teaspoons of mixture for each; return to the refrigerator until ready to use.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat 6 muffin cup tins with cooking spray; set aside. In a bowl, whisk together egg, water, oil, Splenda, baking powder, and vanilla. Add flour and cocoa powder, stirring until smooth. Spoon about 1 tablespoon batter into each muffin tin. Place a chilled peanut butter mound in center of chocolate batter in each muffin tin. Spoon remaining batter over peanut butter mounds.
- Bake 12 to 14 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool cupcakes in pan on wire rack for 5 minutes. Run a sharp knife around edge of each cupcake. Invert cupcakes onto serving plates. Serve immediately.
These would be great topped with sliced strawberries and a sprinkle of confectioner's sugar.
Read NextGinger Spice Cupcakes